Last night the hubs was gone for dinner doing some training for school so I got to have WHATEVER I pleased for dinner and it was amazing! I normally just have something like a salad or something small not worth blogging about but tonight I knew I had to make this delicious pasta dinner I found on Pinterest.
Oh, how lovely Pinterest can be… I mean who doesn’t love getting on there and looking up crap you know you will never cook. I do it all the time. It’s pretty bad so while making my weekly menu I KNEW I really wanted to make something I pinned. Well what’s better than a spaghetti pie? I mean really, its cheesy and saucy! What’s not to love?
If you’ve been following my from the beginning you know the hubs and I am pretty obsessed with Italian food. I mean what person doesn’t really want to have a little Italian Granny that can make homemade pasta and sauce all day. My grandmothers are amazing ladies but sometimes I wish I had that cute little Italian Granny to teach to the Italian ways. But then I remember I’m trying to lose weight and pasta and losing weight don’t really go in the same category unless you use your moderation skills in which this case I did.
This pasta is a new favorite and I can’t wait to have some leftovers for lunch again! Also this would be a great freezer friendly meal. I know a lot of people looking for meals they can make a double batch of and throw one in the freezer for a crazy/busy night. This is perfect. Enjoy!
Total time: 45 minutes
Recipe adapted from Fitness.com
§ 8oz whole wheat spaghetti pasta, cooked
§ 1 cup pasta sauce (I used my Homemade Sauce)
§ 1 tablespoon EVOO
§ 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
§ 1 zucchini shredded, about 2 cups
§ ½ teaspoon basil
§ 1 cup fat-free mozzarella cheese
§ 10 slices turkey pepperoni, chopped
§ 4 eggs
§ ½ cup fat-free milk
§ Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray non-stick spray in baking dish (9x13).
2. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and add garlic. Cook until slightly browned about 1 minute.
3. Add zucchini and basil; cook until the zucchini is tender, about 7-9 minutes. Add pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Stir in pasta sauce in with cooked pasta, and then stir in zucchini, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. Then place in baking dish.
5. In a separate bowl stir together eggs and milk. Pour over pasta mixture evenly.
6. Bake about 25-30 minutes, until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.