Fresh tomatoes straight out of the garden! Don’t worry I washed them J
So if you’ve been following my blog for long you know the hubs and I loooove Italian food. I mean really who doesn’t its delicious! But as most of us love it we eat way too much of it and don’t quit know how to cook it the healthy way! This summer I knew I really wanted to make my own homemade spaghetti sauce I knew I could freeze and have for all winter. Well it’s a good thing there’s a garden growing out my back door with some amazing tasting tomatoes that are perfect for spaghetti sauce making.
This is such an easy recipe. It does take a little longer than I thought but I’m so excited to know I will have plenty of healthy homemade tasty sauce this winter. Honestly I thought it was going to be much harder than it is but it’s not and totally worth it!
Total time: 45 minutes
§ 10-12 medium size tomatoes (I used medium and small one)
§ 1 8oz can tomato paste
§ 1 yellow onion, chopped
§ 1 red pepper, chopped
§ 2 carrots, chopped
§ 2 teaspoons parsley
§ 1 teaspoon oregano
§ ½ teaspoon minced garlic
§ ½ teaspoon onion powder
§ ¼ teaspoon red pepper flake (optional)
§ ½ teaspoon basil
1. Bring a pot of water to boil. Once boiling add tomatoes, only 3 at a time and boil about 2 minutes then remove with a spoon. Place on cutting board and let cool.
2. Heat a pan over medium heat and add onion, pepper and carrots. Cook about 10 minutes.
3. Add all spices to onion mixture cook about 5 minutes.
4. Once tomatoes are all cooled peel, seed and chop them. Add them to onion mixture.
5. Add tomato paste and cook on low about 30 minutes.
6. Place in blender and puree until you’ve got the consistency you want.To freeze place in freeze safe jar or freeze safe bag and freeze.